Criminal Behaviour Order bans landlord, 84, from instructing agent
29 August 2017
Another stark reminder of the importance of using a professional letting agent - and taking the advice that you're given!
A rogue landlord in Corby has been ordered to pay over £20,000 and sign up to a Criminal Behaviour Order which prevents him from hiring a letting agent or any other act which involves renting out property.
Leslie Winspear - who is 84 - was found guilty at Northampton Magistrates Court of failing to comply with an Improvement Notice by renting out a property whilst in a state of disrepair.
This is the second property that Winspear has been prosecuted for renting out in poor and dangerous conditions and a Criminal Behaviour Order was therefore secured against him to help prevent the recurrence of further issues taking place.
The Criminal Behaviour Order prohibits him from:
- Letting or encouraging or assisting in the letting of any premises at any time whilst the premises are subject to a current Prohibition Notice issued pursuant to the provisions of the Housing Act 2004;
- Letting or encouraging or assisting in the letting of any premises at any time after expiry of the relevant compliance period of an Improvement Notice issued pursuant to the provisions of the Housing Act 2004, where the requirements of such notice have been breached, in whole or in part;
- Engaging in the letting or management of any residential premises, whether by himself personally or by means of any corporate entity or by or in concert with (family) or any other persons, without having engaged an agent for such purpose;
- Engaging the services of an agent for the purposes of letting or managing any residential premises at any time on or after notification by the relevant local authority, whether directly or by posting of the same at nay relevant premises, that the authority objects to the use of any such agent;
- Refusing to answer or providing false or misleading information in relation to any statutory requisition for information issued by the relevant local authority concerning the provisions of the Housing Act 2004 or the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
*Original article can be found here: https://www.lettingagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2017/8/criminal-behaviour-order-means-landlord-84-cannot-instruct-letting-agent